As we age, we begin to lose the natural volume in our skin causing wrinkles and fine lines to form. Juvéderm® Volbella® XC is an injectable gel used to increase lip fullness and soften the appearance of lines around the mouth in adults over the age of 21. The smooth gel formulation is made up of a modified form of HA (Hyaluronic Acid). HA is a naturally occurring sugar in the human body that delivers nutrients to help the skin retain its natural moisture and softness.
Following treatment with Juvéderm® Volbella® XC , your lips will look fuller and smoother and fine lines around the mouth will be less noticeable. The effects of Juvéderm® Volbella® XC usually last for 1 yr. This effect depends on the types of skin, areas treated, amounts injected and the injection technique.
Your provider will apply a topical numbing gel prior to the injection to reduce discomfort. Juvéderm® Volbella® XC also contains a small quantity of local anesthetic (lidocaine) which helps minimize discomfort during injection.
Your provider will offer you a time course of injections personalized for you. Following this will help to improve and prolong the aesthetic results. Following treatment you will be able to return to your social and working life immediately.
You are strongly recommended not to take aspirin or anti-inflammatories during the three days, and if possible, the week leading up to the injection session as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site.
In the first 24 hours following the injection, we recommend that you:
- avoid excessive facial expressions
- don’t touch, handle or massage the site injected
- minimize strenuous exercise
- avoid alcoholic beverages
- minimize exposure to extensive sun or heat
What are possible side effects?
The most common side effects include injection site redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, discoloration, itching, and dryness. Most side effects are mild or moderate and last 30 days or less.
One of the risks with using this product is unintentional injection into a blood vessel, and, while rare, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include visual abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
Are there any reasons why I should not receive JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel?
This product should not be used in patients with a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or allergies to lidocaine or Gram-positive proteins contained in this product.
What precautions should my provider discuss with me?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC for use during pregnancy, or while breastfeeding, has not been studied.
- The safety of Juvéderm® Volbella® XC in patients under 22 years has not been established.
- The safety and effectiveness of Juvéderm® Volbella® XC in areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been established in controlled clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (e.g., hypertrophic scarring and keloid formation) or pigmentation disorders, as use of Juvéderm® Volbella® XC may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation.
- Tell your doctor if you have an autoimmune disease or are on immunosuppressive therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as use of Juvéderm® Volbella® XC may result in an increased risk of infection.
- Tell your doctor if you are using medications that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners, as this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site.
- Minimize strenuous exercise, exposure to excessive sun or heat, and alcoholic beverages within the first 24 hours following treatment.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment.
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with this product may be at a higher risk for side effects.
For more information about JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC and the JUVÉDERM® collection of fillers, visit www.Juvederm.com.